Sunday 26 September 2010

Ah last day of my summer holidays...

Today's a bit depressing because we all have to go to uni tomorrow. I've got mixed feelings about going back - mainly because I don't think I did all the required summer work, but oh well! It will be good to see everyone again and catch up.So this blog is mainly for the documentation of my final year at UWE! May carry on after I'm done, or I may not, but we shall see.

This summer was quite interesting...I quite my job at Starbucks, got a new job at a little cafe up the road from my house, lost my job a month later because the place went out of business, went to the Edinburgh Fringe aaaaaand got proposed to. Yep. I'm engaged now! How exciting :) My mom also came to visit me for a week, which was fun. I haven't seen her in over a year so it was really nice seeing her.

I also sparingly did some research on what I hope will be my final collection. I'm inspired by a number of things:

Steampunk
"You're Beautiful" (an awesome Korean drama)
Korean boy bands
Korean fashion designers
Victorian England

It kinda all fell into place because my fiance suggested the Steampunk culture to me in my first year, I was bored at the beginning of summer and watched Korean dramas (cos I'm a dork) and thought about the last project I did in uni. For that collection I attempted to combine both male and female fashion...it didn't really work out to plan, but the idea stuck! I'm really interested in androgynous fashion and the show "You're Beautiful" captured that sooo well!

The story is basically the chick above has to pretend to be a guy in the famous boy band. The funny part was, all the guys dressed really...femininely, but were obviously really manly. It's a Korean thing cos all the boy bands there do it and it's awesome!! It was totally up my street for my research.

Steampunk is kinda like Jane Austen meets 21st century technology...kinda. Really cool subculture that can kinda be summed up in a picture.

Goggles, steam powered stuff and Victorian clothing. Cool, innit? =D

Anyhoo, that's a glimpse of what I have...I've got more research and things...but ya know, gotta see if the tutors approve tomorrow, ya dig? x

No comments:

Post a Comment