Friday 25 May 2012

Dressing dem in Costume, doe.

Hello! Happy May, guys! Oh man, I can't believe the month is actually almost gone. As if doe!

Good things have been starting to happen! One of the most important things is that I'm starting to get my confidence back again. I'm looking at things a lot more positively which is super great for my health and future career as such. My mates in and out of Bristol have been absolutely fantastic and have just been there for me! Totes proved that I wasn't as alone as I thought I was a few months ago. :D

In the beginning of April, I left TOAST. That may or may not be a terrible decision, but the whole job thing that they offered me what a teensy weensy bit of a piss take. I couldn't have just sat around for over two months waiting for the company to decide if they could actually take me on or not. That's was actually okay though. As much as I enjoyed what I was doing, I thought it was a good time for me to leave. After 6 months of commuting to Swansea to work for free does take it out of you. Kudos to the people who do that all the time - Seriously, doe.

Anyway, since I've left the company I've been called up loads by different agencies trying to get me jobs patterncutting around the country and such, but something in me wasn't too fussed if I got the job or not. Not the right kind of attitude, right? Just goes to show I don't really want that right now. Oh well! I've accepted that and that's fine. Maybe I'll hang up the Patternmaster for the time being!

So as you may or may not know, I work in a theatre part time as Front of House staff - which is an awesome job! I get to be around awesome people all the time and around awesome shows and beautiful sets and the venue is just stunning! Last month or so, I asked backstage if they needed help dressing costumes for any of the shows and the manager said that he would need me for the Lion King which is at the end of August. Um the LION KING, guys.

I get to deal with stuff like this!!!!:





You jeally?! Yep you should be!!! I've been amazed by the Lion King costumes ever since I saw it on Broadway when I was a little girl. But now 15 years later, I'll be able to be a part of it for 3 months. Ahhh, I cannot stress how happy and excited I am for this!! I mean, how creative are these costumes!?!?! Ohhhhhhhhhh guys!

So that's a thing! I was perfectly content with that and waiting until it was here, but last week the backstage manager sought me out at the beginning of my shift and asked if I would be available to do any dressing for the Phantom of the Opera.

You mean for stuff like this...?



Um YES!? So that's where I am at this point in my life. I'm dressing for Phantom of the Opera...that's an actual thing. I'm just amazed that just one little curious question landed me all this. Just goes to show that if you don't ask, you don't get, people. And it's not always what you know, but who you know. Admittedly, mentioning that I studied Fashion/Textile Design did make things easier, but just wow...

Today will only be my 3rd day dressing the PotO cast (male ensemble, if you're wondering!!) and I'm loving it so much already. It's hot and sweaty and really busy but I'm feeling super confident about this. Who knows what this could lead to in the future?! One step at a time, but I'm definitely progressing. 

And to my tutors in uni that said my designs were "too costumey" sometimes? LOOK AT ME NOW! Boo-freakin-yaaaaaaa!

Happy happy Holly. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment